Extra Extra, read all about it! S.E. Shires is adding a new line of instruments to the family!
“We understand not every musician may be ready for a Shires custom instrument or may find those costs prohibitive, so the development of the Q Series with Eastman allows the best aspects of our custom instruments to be at a very affordable price; certainly worthy of the Shires name.” – Steve Shires
When you purchase a Q Series instrument you join the S. E. Shires family, a family that includes some of the finest professional musicians in the world. The Q Series line of instruments represent the philosophy of Eastman to produce the finest musical instruments at every price point and embody the reputation of Shires: to produce the highest quality hand crafted instruments for every player.
How do we do it? It’s international commerce at its finest. S.E. Shires fabricates the Q parts in Hopedale, Massachusetts, USA, then ships the parts to the Eastman factory in China where they are assembled, and then the instrument is sent back to Shires. The final finishes, quality checks and play-tests are then done in Hopedale before shipping to dealers. And that’s how you get a custom quality trombone/trumpet at a moderate price!
And the best part? Q Series Instruments are compatible with S.E. Shires Custom Instruments! So that means that you can purchase a Q Series trombone and purchase additional Shires Custom components over time if you would like to upgrade or change your specifications!
The Q Series instruments are set for a Fall 2016 release and will be available at S.E. Shires Authorized Q Series Dealers.
- Large-Bore Tenor Trombones – TBQ30YR, TBQ30GR, TBQ30YA, TBQ30GA
- F/Gb Rotary Valve Bass Trombone – TBQ36YR and TBQ36GR
The Q Series Model Tenor Trombone is available with the following options:
- Choice of Valve
- Rotary Valve – fast response, short lever throw, lighter weight
- Axial Valve – free blowing with an even feel between Bb and F
- Choice of Bell
- The yellow brass bell offers the best projection and stability. Its tone is similar at all dynamic levels.
- The gold brass bell has a warmer, broader tone, with more malleability.
The Q Series Model Bass Trombone features your choice of yellow or gold brass bell with a rotary valve.
- Bb Trumpet-TRQ10S
The Q Series Model Trumpet features the following:
- Key: Bb
- Bore: .459 inch
- Q10 bell: 4 13/16″, one-piece, hand-hammered “Q” (centered) taper in yellow brass with round brass bead
- Q05 leadpipe: .347″ venturi, heavyweight yellow brass; open and free blowing with well-defined slots and easy response
- QW tuning slide
- Piston material: hand-lapped Monel
- Valve cluster: two-piece casings, standard weight, with nickel balusters
- Top valve caps: Nickel Silver
- Lower valve caps: Nickel Silver
- Bell engraving: S.E. Shires makers mark and model designation
- Finish: silver plate
All Q Series instruments come complete with a case, S.E. Shires mouthpiece, and care & cleaning kit. It is our goal to provide musicians of all backgrounds with an instrument that fits their needs at a comfortable price point.